Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 2nd, 2012 - Sleep

I fell asleep early last night. Yep. At about 8pm! Why? Because Amanda needed "mommy time."

Amanda is my youngest child. She is 4 1/2 years old. "Almost 5," she says. But the mommy time thing has been happening for about a year. When I am home and not working a show or running rehearsals, whenever she gets tired, she needs "mommy time." In other words, she wants mommy to lay down with her until she goes to sleep. Problem is, sometimes, mommy may not be ready to go to bed. And when I am not ready to go to bed because I have things to do, laying down with Amanda can be very detrimental. Because I fall asleep. Like last night. I wanted to write a blog last night. And to sleep I went instead.

So I'm writing 2 blog posts today. This one I have decided will be about sleep. Why? Because I never seem to get enough of it probably.

I get up at 6 am almost every day. This semester will probably be even earlier.  (I have a class at 8:30.) I spend most of my days at school attending classes or meetings or homework or some combination of all three. When I'm on a stage management team, I then hit rehearsals. As the stage manager, I try to get there about 2 hours before rehearsal is set to start. I schedule my assistants for an hour before. Two hours gives me enough time to do paperwork, get my head in the game, and prep for the night. When my assistants arrive, they sweep and assist with set-up. Rehearsal runs until 10 or 11. Then there's the post-rehearsal paperwork before I can make the half hour drive home. So that means that I don't get to bed until after midnight usually. With that schedule repeated 6 days a week.

So sleep is something I don't get much. I dream of a day when I can get 8 hours on a regular basis. Maybe that will happen one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment