Sunday, January 1, 2012

Surgery

Ok, so aside from my introduction, here's my first real post. I am having surgery on Friday. Arthroscopic surgery on my left knee. I'm kind of freaked out. I've never had surgery before. Well, I guess really I have. I had oral surgery. They took a couple teeth out and I was eating semi-normally within a day.

This is different. I go to the surgical center at 8:30am. I'm supposed to be on the table by 10am. I'll be on the table about an hour before they are done with me and then I hit the recovery room. I truly don't have any idea how long it will be before I get home, only that it is an outpatient surgery so I will go home the same day. And I will not be able to drive myself home.

I am kind of freaked out. What is the surgery for? Well I have bone spurs on both of my knee caps and both of my femurs. They are going in and removing the bone spurs and smoothing out the cartilage in my knee. If it all goes well, I will probably have my other knee done in June. Why so long in between? Well, because I don't really have time to be incapacitated between February and June because of stage managing Assassins and Great Plains Theatre Conference.

Did I forget to mention that before? Yeah, I guess I did... I'm essentially the Production Stage Manager for the GPTC. What does that mean? Well, I oversee the stage managers for the evening performances for the conference. Now there are stage managers that need a lot of overseeing and there are stage managers that I don't worry about at all. Like Lara Marsh. (BTW, she needs a double lung transplant because of cystic fibrosis. Donate here: http://cotaforlaram.com/)

Ok, back to the previous discussion. Did I mention that I am freaked out over this surgery? Yeah... yeah, I did. I've had a headache for 3 days. I know about the procedure. I understand what they are doing. Yeah, I know it's not like it is heart surgery or something. Am I fond of anyone cutting my body open? No, not really. Nor am I really looking forward to the month or so of pain and recuperation that will follow.

In fact, I think freaked out is kind of a mild way of putting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment